Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

And the Snows Came

A snowless winter in upstate western New York? Not likely. Its been snowing for a few hours now. At first it looked like it would be very brief and with no accumulation, as they say on the weather forecast. No that's not happening either.

I am often asked, at this time of year, if it snows in Australia. Yes of course it does and then I proceed to rattle off the names of the more prominent and well known, down under ski resorts; Thredbo, Blue Cow, Falls Creek and Hotham. Very little snow falls anywhere near the big cities in Australia. If you want to go skiing then its at least a few hours in the car and plan on making a weekend of it.

Here in New York the snow is a regular and eventually very annoying reminder of just how cold it does get. As I have said before the white Christmas is a lot of fun but after that a few months of perpetual sub-freezing temperatures do not have a very positive affect on anyone.

The driving is tricky to say the least if not downright dangerous. Its time to slip the Jeep back into 4 wheel drive mode. Ah yes, its time for snow ploughs, snow blowers and snow shovels. Heart attack snow they call it. Get out and start digging the snow off the sidewalk (footpath) and you very quickly find out how unfit, read old, you really are.

So dear reader, I am off, snow shovel in hand, to clear the way. If I manage to make it from the garage to the door I will congratulate myself that I am fitter that I was this time last year. Just chest pain but a reminder to slow down and thank my neighbor for his generosity with his snow blower. Thank you Darren.

No comments:

Post a Comment